Wednesday 9 May 2007

Moving to Thunderbird

Not posted anything significant for a while, so thought I would fill this with a tech post (of sorts, it's hardly detailed).

After years of using trusty Pegasus Mail, I'm in the process of switching to Mozilla Thunderbird. I've been using (and recommending) Mozilla's Firefox browser for ages, but now I'm going to be using their mail client as well.

The exporting of nearly nine year's worth of folders (I rarely delete e-mails from friends) is going to take some time, but I'll get there. The reasons I'm moving are:

1) Better support for multiple e-mail addresses. With Pegasus I'd be swapping over between mailboxes. No need with Thunderbird, which handles this pretty easily.
2) Better HTML support. While this was secure with Pegasus, it was pretty awkward, and e-mails didn't necessarily render particularly well. Thunderbird works well on incoming (if you choose) and outgoing messages.

That's really all the reasons I have, but they're pretty big reasons in terms of making my life easier. There are a few things I'd like to see in Thunderbird (multiple signatures, selective mail downloading) but I suspect I'll find those in due course in various extensions that are available. Plus I'm still getting used to using it!

There's another move I'm working on, but that can wait for another time.

2 comments:

Stuart said...

When you open it do you go 5.... 4.... 3.... 2.... 1.... Thunderbird is Go!

Tony Dobson said...

Heheheheheheheh... no. :)